Serves - 1
- Preparation Time - 30 mins - 1 hour
- Cooking Time - 10 - 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 55g-85g/2-3oz microwaveable basmatic rice, cooked
- splash water
- 1 mackerel fillet, flaked
- 1-2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 quail eggs, poached
- Stir in the chilli, turmeric and cumin seeds. Heat for a further minute.
- Stir in the cooked rice to the pan with a splash of boiling water.
- Mix in the mackerel fillet and parsley and heat through for a few minutes.
- Bring a pan of water to the simmer and add the white wine vinegar. Whisk the water to create a whirlpool in the center.
- Crack the eggs into the whirlpool and leave to poach gently for three to four minutes until set. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon.
- Transfer the kedgeree to a serving plate and serve the poached quails eggs on top.